Pages

Sunday, May 08, 2011

The Sidewalk Ritual In Ghettoland


A spoken word performance of my "Sidewalk Ritual" prose about a ritual I noticed in front of a crack motel in the ghetto.

Friday afternoon
in unincorporated (disembodied) America.
Casual day...the usual.
3 in the afternoon.
I just woke up.
I slip on the bluejeans I have been wearing every day
for the last two weeks,
maybe three,
pull on a dirty white tee shirt
and some cotton socks I've
been wearing longer than the jeans.

I pay Don my rent while he's outside his manager's door
explaining to some broke Puerto Rican man
why he has to lock him out of his room.

It's time for the Sidewalk Ritual.
A middle-aged black man
is doing it right now.
It's my turn.

I walk out of the motel entrance
to the street sidewalk,
the one that faces busy Crenshaw,
Momo's Korean call girl bar,
and The Giving Faith Fellowship church next door.

The middle-aged black man
is looking up Crenshaw,
then down.

"There's nothing down there for you, you know," I joke.
"Yeah," he laughs, "Gotta keep looking, though."
He walks back in to the motel.
I step out to the curb.
I look up Crenshaw.
I look down Crenshaw.
We don't know what we're looking for
when we look,
we just look . . .
up and down the street we look
probably for Hope.

I leave to check my email.
Another crack motel inmate
steps up to the curb...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Ads by AdGenta.com

Tags: , , , ,
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I really liked that! The video wasn't working for me at first, so I read the poem and then watched the video. Good way to do it. The images and the music really add a lot and seems to add a sliver of hope to the proceedings. Love the Elvis with the messed up eyes. Well done, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello !!! Dear Friend !!! Nice Blog !!!
    Go through all your posts written by you in Blog....
    Written all posts nicely......
    I am new in Blogger, Please go through my blog.. & give your valuable ideas to make my blog qualitative... Thanks... Dimpal, India

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randomly just found this blog. Nice poetry.

    Just passing by. Peace. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us. I really love all the great stuff you provide. Thanks again and keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can't wait for that trigger, we have to BE that trigger that makes something happen. Captured the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really your blog is very nice and wonderful video.
    I like your blog.
    I’m glad to see your site.
    I invite you visit my site.
    I wait for your presence in -
    World Heritage Site
    Programming Language
    Everyday Showbiz News
    Primary Health Tips

    ReplyDelete

Share |