Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Soon To Be The Ex-Employee of a Muslim Cheapskate

The First Thanksgiving, painted by Jean Leon G...Image via Wikipedia
To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.---George MacDonald

by James Jarvis
from My Arcology
Dec 18, 2001

Well, I think I may have screwed myself out of another job. The Arco manager wanted to confirm with me today that I was working Christmas day and I told her (in private, away from the other employees) "No, not unless I get double time for working the holiday."

The manager said matter-of-factly that the owner was Muslim, so he doesn't pay extra for Christmas.

"Christmas is a national holiday in America," I told her, "and this Arco is technically located in America. I'm still mad about Thanksgiving. Besides, Galen (the owner) just sold that vacant lot next door for a million bucks (the surveyors were there today, marking off the spots where the strip mall will be built). He doesn't need to be so cheap." (We're talking about an extra $18 or $24 here)

The Arco owner doesn't pay holidays. He doesn't pay overtime or sick pay. He provides no health insurance. He doesn't even like paying minimum wage. So I figured the manager would just take me off the schedule, but when I went back to the store for cigarettes a couple of hours after my shift was over, the clerks there were hailing me as the leader of the Arco holiday pay revolution.

Oops.
Ads by AdGenta.com
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |