Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Two Faces Of Public Opinion

Tajfun water cannon on Renault Kerax chassis (...Image via Wikipedia

Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fail.---Oliver Goldsmith


by James Jarvis
from My Arcology 
November 29, 2001 

I was talking to my crack motel's assistant manager Monty tonight about the police entrapment of Serge (see previous post) at the Arco, you know, spouting my right-wing reactionary drivel about local law enforcement paying people to commit crimes (personally, I'm agin it, we've got enough of that going on at the federal level).
Monty surprised me by saying that when a person gets hired on as a gas jockey (i.e. in a minimum wage job with no benefits; no health, no overtime, no retirement, no sick or holiday pay, no respect or even manners from the general public) that that person has a solemn responsibility to the community . . .
"Wait, Monty, aren't you the same fella tellin' me two weeks ago that no good ever came from a cop coming on to THIS property? Wasn't that you tellin' me that?"
"Well, yeah, James, but that was different. That was HERE."
"Exactly. Janus (the two-faced god) rides again," I said.
"I don't know what the new ho's got ta do with the price of rice in China," Monty said.
"Me neither," I said.

Sometimes my conversations with Monty leave him unsatisfied.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |