Pages

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

I'm The Stable One, Pig Noises And All


The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater their power to harm us.---Voltaire

by James Jarvis
from My Arcology

  Just looked at the work schedule (something I rarely do as I consider the work schedule more of a guesstimate than a rigid thing). Turns out I'm scheduled for 15 more hours this pay period. 110 total hours on my next paycheck. Not bad.

    The manager told me that I'm the only stock boy in the history of Arconia (as far as she knows) that was ever paid the same rate as manager's pay (not that much more than the counter clerks, but noticeably better than the last stock boys).

     Hee hee. Can't be my personality. Must be the quality of my work.

    Actually, I think it's my stability. Kamel got busted for having sex in the bathroom, Serj sold beer to a minor, John showed up for his first day of work high on methamphetamine with beer on his breath, Alah keeps getting his junker cars stolen, Eddie's wife keeps hounding the manager to ban Eddie's girlfriend from the store, BenHur stares at the boob tube all night and me? I just make pig noises at the customers. I'm the stable one.

    Wait. I'm the stable one?

    The Arco manager or one of the other employees usually buy me breakfast every day that I show up before 3 and the manager gives me a new tee shirt to wear every week and I'm free to sit out in front of the store on the ash can making pig noises at the customers during breaks and on my off time.

     Life ain't all that bad at the Arco.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |