Pages

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Bad Manners Gets You Bad Directions


by James Jarvis
from My Arcology

    A wave of gasholes came into the Arco gas station tonight while Serj and I were working the registers. I was pounding those register keys and grabbing twenties as fast as I could go. While I was counting out change for one customer, an Asian barged in demanding directions to Artesia Blvd. Without looking away from my cash register or losing my count, I pointed north up Crenshaw Blvd and said, "Just keep going THAT way, sir. You'll run right into it."

    After the wave of customers died down, Serj turned to me all serious-like and said, "I think you gave that one guy bad directions. Isn't Artesia the other way?"

    "I know," I said.

    "What?" he asked.

    "Bad manners, bad directions," I said.

    Serj started laughing.

    "Better manners, better directions," I added, "The man thought his problem was more important than me giving someone their correct change, so fuck him. Let him drive around Los Angeles for a while. It's good for the gas station business."

    Serj couldn't stop laughing.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |